NOTE: The internships listed on this page are copied and pasted in as we receive them. The newest opportunities are listed first. Older information is maintained to inform students of the unlimited internship possibilities available.
Before applying to one with an older date, contact the company to make sure the internship is still available and confirm the correct contact person.
Assist the Kansas Chamber’s Director of Communications and Special Events with various tasks dealing with the overall communications plan for the Chamber. The mission of the Kansas Chamber is to continually strive to improve the economic climate for the benefit of every business and citizen and to safeguard our system of free, competitive enterprise.
The ideal candidate is a student or young professional with demonstrated interest in communications capable of updating social media sites, drafting e-newsletters, helping to coordinate events and working on event invitations, communicating with the media when necessary, and communicating directly with members, coalition partners, and elected officials. This is a paid part-time position. We will work with you to obtain credit at your college/university if so desired.
About the Kansas Chamber of Commerce
The Kansas Chamber is a member-driven, non-profit organization. The Chamber partners with other pro-business groups and local chambers of commerce to promote business-friendly legislation and garner support statewide. Our legislative agenda focuses on relieving tax pressure and employment costs for the state’s employers, as well as creating a more positive business climate.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Director of Communications and Special Events
• Assist with media inquiries
• Filing and record retention
• Chamber event support (specifically 2015 Annual Dinner)
• Assist Kansas Chamber staff when needed
The ideal candidate will thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment within an organization that is experiencing rapid change and growth, and will:
• Demonstrate interest in communications, public relations, and/or marketing.
• Be responsible, flexible, hard-working, ethical, and committed to the mission of the Kansas Chamber.
• Possess a high level of organizational skills and be detail-oriented.
• Possess strong proof-reading, editing and writing skills.
• Possess strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
• Possess the ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts.
• Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space.
• Possess the ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
• Possess experience with Microsoft Office, InDesign Suite preferred but not required.
• Familiarity with business issues and the role Chambers of Commerce play in the legislative arena.
Please send resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and availability to gro.rebmahcsasnak|mylime#gro.rebmahcsasnak|mylime with the subject line “Communications Intern.” If email is not available, please mail application, resume and cover letter to Kansas Chamber of Commerce, 835 SW Topeka Blvd. Topeka, KS 66612. Deadline for applications is December 1, 2014.
The following internship was recently posted or updated on BodJobs and might be of interest to students in your department. Please feel free to forward to interested parties. Students can access their free BodJobs accounts via the Career Services website at www.washburn.edu/career-services. Thanks!
Job ID 22537
Organization Name Andrews McMeel Publishing
Job Title Publicity Intern
The Washburn Office of University Relations seeks an intern for fall 2014. To be paid $8 per hour for up to 11 hours per week, the successful candidate will assist the web editor in the creation of content for several social media platforms, maintenance of an accurate database of Washburn University-affiliated social media accounts as well as analysis of the performance of the office’s developed digital content strategy.
In a given week you may be shooting video, taking photos, writing short stories or vignettes, using Photoshop, positing to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google+, collecting and verifying event information for the weekly Bod Talk e-newsletter, monitoring social media traffic and studying analytics. You will be supervised by the web editor but will work as a team member that includes the web editor, Washburn Alumni Association media specialist and an alumni association social media intern.
The successful candidate should have the ability to gather information and a comfort level with social media and basic equipment, including a camera. The ability to maintain the university’s professional and brand standards is a must. All majors are welcome to apply. This position is open to enrolled Washburn students only and will meet the requirements of a mass media internship.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume with a list of three references, two writing samples and information that allows the hiring committee to view your personal social media accounts to ude.nrubshaw|srednuas.aleahcim#ude.nrubshaw|srednuas.aleahcim by Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2014. Questions? Contact Michaela Saunders, web editor, at 785-670-2154 or stop by the university relations office, 119 Morgan.
Marketing Event Internship
West Ridge Mall
PHYSICAL LOCATION: Topeka, KS POSITION TYPE: Unpaid
PRIMARY PURPOSE: This position will serve as an additional support person the Director of Marketing and Business Development specifically, for the purpose of assisting in the conception, implementation, and execution of events held at the property. This would include participation in event meetings, administering the appropriate event documentation for on-site tenants and off-site vendors, locating, soliciting, and following up with potential vendors assigned for events, and collaborating with the team on the event re-cap.
• Event Management: Assists in the planning process as well as on-site management of center events, promotions and sponsorships as necessary and directed.
• Collateral Management: Assists with installation and de-installation of collateral associated with all events, promotions and sponsorships.
• Proof of Performance: Collects and delivers all proof of performance documentation and photographs per the implementation guide.
• Administration: Assists with the completion and submission of all reports and surveys associated with center events, promotions and/or sponsorships.
• Organizes information and drafts documents and/or presentations for reports, surveys, forms, questionnaires, etc. for the management staff within the required timelines.
• Assists with maintaining property files according to Company Policies and Procedures.
Director of Marketing & Business Development | West Ridge Mall
Marketing/PR Internship Opportunity
The Marketing/PR Intern will assist Family Service and Guidance Center’s marketing team with the planning and execution of its marketing, advertising, development and public relations functions.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
• Implementing the agency’s Public Relations/Marketing/Development strategy under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Development.
• Assisting with special event planning and execution
• Representing the agency at special events
• Distributing marketing and promotional materials as needed
• Writing/editing copy for internal and external websites
Experience in graphics and layout is a plus.
The Marketing/Public Relations Intern will have at least two years of college, preferably with study in the areas of marketing, advertising, mass media, graphic design, and/or communication studies.
The successful candidate will work approximately 15 to 20 hours per week, will be willing to work the occasional Saturday and must have reliable transportation. In addition, the successful candidate must pass Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) and Child Abuse Registry checks.
For more information, please contact Pam Evans, Director of Marketing and Development, at (785) 232-7902 or moc.akepotcgsf|snavep#moc.akepotcgsf|snavep.
Film and Video Production Companies in Kansas City who may offer internships:
Production Companies - Film Commission of Greater Kansas City
Topeka Metro would like to request either a paid or unpaid intern for 3 projects during the second semester:
1) Topeka Metro will be upgrading to “smart” fareboxes on our buses in late February. I am looking for our intern to assist with the notifications/messaging/public awareness to our riders as we transition to this new farebox; the change will have an impact on riders as they purchase passes and at the farebox when they try to use them.
2) Topeka Metro will be working with WSGA on a “Texting…………It Can Wait Campaign”. Topeka Metro needs assistance in developing this campaign on campus for the spring semester and working with the Topeka Police Department on a broader distribution of material/message in Topeka.
3) Topeka Metro needs assistance in designing a year-long awareness schedule.
Susan K. Duffy
Paid Internship Opportunities
Technical Director, Camera operators, and video programmer.
For further details contact Phil Thompson, Marketing Manager 785-235-1986 or moc.opxEsK|tlihp#moc.opxEsK|tlihp
Marketing/Communications Intern at St. Francis Health
Director of Marketing
The Marketing/Communications Intern will support the department in writing, interviews, web updates, internal communications, and event planning.
The Marketing/Communications Intern will have the following responsibilities:
• Coordinate and conduct interviews with providers and patients.
• Work with the Interactive and Web Specialist to update content for the website.
• Write and coordinate internal communications.
• Assist with daily Marketing/Communications activities.
• Help plan and attend events.
• Other duties as assigned.
Specific skills required include:
• Needs to have strong writing, editing and proofing skills.
• Ability to coordinate and conduct insightful interviews.
• Comfortable in the Web, social media environments.
• Comfortable working on a PC and in Microsoft Office.
• Organized and a self-starter.
Director of Marketing
St. Francis Health
1700 SW 7th St., Topeka, KS 66606-1690
Topeka Area Association of REALTORS is looking for a marketing/communications intern for the Spring semester of 2014. This intern could be asked to assist with the following projects:
• Association members marketing campaign
• Affiliate membership drive
• Assist in the coordination of a Topeka Housing Fair
• Input/writing articles for the At Home section of the Topeka Capitol Journal
• Social media awareness campaign
• TAAR monthly newsletter
• Other projects as assigned.
This position would be supervised by the CEO of the Topeka Area Association of REALTORS®.
Kansas Family Partnership
5942 SW 29th St., Suite D, Topeka, KS 66614
Works with the Kansas Family Partnership (KFP) Communications Coordinator to plan, develop and create two video projects for the Red Ribbon Program/Campaign (RRC). Also provides other communications assistance as needed for RRC. Red Ribbon's mission is to enlist Kansans to join in the fight against the illegal use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Each year, RRC provides a major force for raising awareness and mobilizing communities in the fight against drugs. The RRC target audience is youth kindergarten through 12th grade as well as parents, educators, law enforcement, media and the general public. KFP is the RRC coordinator for Kansas. RRC is held October 23-31 annually. RRC Training and Recognition Luncheon is held annually in March.
Intern will be responsible for:
• Researching and making recommendations for video and/or power point formats for two RRC video projects.
• Working with the KFP Communications Coordinator and RRC State Director to plan and develop an RRC Luncheon Video as well as a Red Ribbon 101 Video.
• Attending the RRC Luncheon & Training on March 27, 2014, to shoot video and take photographs.
• Writing scripts.
• Coordinating video talent, voiceovers, locations, etc.
• Shooting videos, taking photographs and creating graphics.
• Editing raw materials into finished video projects.
• Assisting with additional RRC communications projects, as needed.
• Assisting with additional KFP communications projects, as needed.
• Good writing skills, including video scripts.
• Videography and photography experience.
• Experience with and good working knowledge of Power Point, Adobe Creative Suite, and video editing software such as Avid, Final Cut and/or Adobe Premier.
• Project management experience and good communication skills.
• Good organization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
This is an unpaid internship, with a work schedule that will qualify for two credit hours at Washburn University (workload heavier in January-March and lighter April-May). Office space and some equipment is included (computer, Sony Handycam HDR-SR12, and Sony DSC-H2 Camera, etc.).
Intern has the unique opportunity to make a difference in helping to fight the illegal use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco among youth in Kansas.
Department of Administration is seeking a communication/public affairs intern to work in the Office of the Secretary to assist with our agency newsletter, writing news releases, working with the Legislature, redesigning our agency website, improving internal communication and employee recognition and various other tasks and projects.
Chuck Knapp, Director of Operations and Public Affairs
Kansas Department of Administration
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 500 | Topeka, KS 66612
March of Dimes
Special Events Intern
Objective: The Special Events Intern will work approximately 10 to 15 hours a week at the March of Dimes office in Topeka, KS. This intern will support the Community Director for our Signature Chefs Auction Event. The intern will learn the basic skills in special event planning, volunteer recruitment and management, event set up and general organization. The intern will also learn about the March of Dimes organization. Intern must be available all day on Thursday, October 24th for set-up and the event. This is an unpaid internship.
*Must have valid driver’s license and car
*Computer entry and management of auction items
*Phone calls to potential auction donors
*Coordinate pick-up of committed auction items, may involve physical gathering items with mileage reimbursement
*Communication with sponsors and participating organizations
*Assist with event logistics
Submit resume or questions to:
Cindy Day, Development Assistant
March of Dimes, Greater Kansas Chapter
(913) 469-3611 - phone
(913) 469-3661 - fax
Advisors Excel Internship
We are looking for a copywriting intern.
Any students with a media writing or journalism focus who may be interested in the position please contact our Director of Human Resources, Amy Bahner, at moc.lecxesrosivda|renhaB.ymA#moc.lecxesrosivda|renhaB.ymA.
Junior Achievement of Kansas Internship
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to:
ATTN: Amy Burns
Junior Achieve-ment of Kansas
3735 SW Wanamaker Road
Topeka, Kansas 66610
Spend your internship as part of a high-energy team, gaining hands-on experience and making connections that will enhance your career opportunities. Junior Achievement of Kansas is looking for a college intern at our Topeka statewide headquarters.
Junior Achievement’s volunteer delivered programs foster work readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills, and use experiential learning to inspire students to dream big and reach their potential.
We’re looking for someone with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Our intern will work with JA team members to gain experience in marketing, public relations, branding, event planning, and volunteer coordination.
We’re looking for someone whose internship will last approximately 15 hours a week for the coming semester. Hours are flexible to accommodate your class schedule. We will work with your university to meet your internship credit requirements.
Office of Judicial Administration
301 SW 10th Ave.
Contact: Ron Keefover
The administrative office of the Kansas courts is seeking a tech-savvy unpaid intern for the fall 2013 semester, who could undertake a variety of projects to educate and inform the citizenry of their courts, including such things as:
• Updating and refreshing the Judicial Branch website’s main page (www.kscourts.org)
• Completing work on a PowerPoint “virtual tour” of the Kansas court system
• Producing brief video clips for the website’s main page
• Recommending (and potentially launching) social media initiatives for the courts
• Developing a mobile website application for the Judicial Branch website
The successful applicant will be a junior or senior communications major with strong writing skills, proficiency with communications software, such as Dream Weaver, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office Suite etc., and social media sites. Some of the tasks involved in this internship can be completed at home or on-campus in consultation with the Office of Judicial Administration’s Education-Information Officer.
Kansas Pharmacists Association (KPhA) Communications Internship
The Communications Intern ensures that there is a mechanism for information to be distributed to association leadership and membership as well as provide key components of all association functions with relevant value to association members.
This internship is located in Topeka, KS and offers flexible start and end dates and will take into account your class schedule. The majority of the work will be completed during normal business hours between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Junior/Senior majoring in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or related field
• Able to clearly promote thoughts, action plans and reports both in written form and verbally.
• Must be a self starter and work well in an unsupervised environment.
• Skillful in Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Office
• Event Planning
• Social Media
• Assist in electronic communications to membership
• Produce event promotion through flyers, website registration and e-marketing
• Assisting in bi-annual magazine
• Actively promote the Association through social media
• Assist in bi-weekly electronic newsletter
• Other duties as assigned
• Assist in planning annual meeting and trade show
If interested, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to:
Kansas Pharmacists Association
1020 SW Fairlawn Rd
Topeka, KS 66604
isportsweb.com. We are seeking students who want to build their resume and potentially obtain college credit by writing for a nationally recognized website. On top of students who want to publish their work, we are searching for passionate and knowledgeable sports minds who desire to write about the one team that they truly love. As a beat writer, our interns are responsible for generating multiple stories per week, and we give our interns freedom to cover the topics they feel to be important at that time. We have full and partial openings for a host of major pro and college teams (including the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals). The correspondent position comes with the opportunity to have the student’s writing reach a national audience as isportsweb.com feeds into Google News, ESPN, and FoxSports.
Other perks include the possibility of gaining media credentials to games. We have obtained media credentials in the NFL, and will help our new interns gain media access if possible.
Why isportsweb.com? This opportunity is unlike any other currently available to students on a widespread level. The selected correspondent(s) will have the opportunity to expose their writing across the country through our various feeds, gain a following, interact with their readers, learn how to write for a publication, post their articles, and be held accountable for their work.
If you are not interested in writing for credit but still want to join the isportsweb.com team, we are open to that as well.
Multiple openings are available.
To reach us with questions or to apply, simply email moc.bewstropsi|tcatnoc#moc.bewstropsi|tcatnoc
E3 COSMIC is looking for a student to assist with:
Development of a social media show. Duties include but are not limited to video editing, broadcasting, hosting, PR (full scale production), creative writing, and some administrative duties.
Interested students please contact Keith McClain at moc.liamg|ssenzibibom#moc.liamg|ssenzibibom or (785) 969-5858.
McCrite Plaza Retirement Community is looking for a person for a paid internship with potential to become a full time position. This person would be working as our concierge in Independent and Assisted Living. The Senior Industry is a booming market and this would be great experience for someone interested in marketing and/or public relations.
Director of Marketing
McCrite Plaza Retirement Community
1608 SW 37th St.
Topeka, KS 66611
(785) 267-2960 Work
(785) 267-0138 Fax
Family Service & Guidance Center, the Midwest’s leader in children’s behavioral health care, is interviewing creative, enthusiastic young professionals to fill a summer internship position with our Marketing and Public Relations team.
The Marketing/PR Intern will assist with the planning and execution of its marketing, advertising, fund raising and public relations functions.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Implementing the agency’s Public Relations/Marketing/Development strategy under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Development.
- Assisting with planning and executing FSGC’s signature fund raising event, the Works of Heart Art Event and Auction, which raised $88,000 last year.
- Representing the agency at special events.
- Distributing marketing and promotional materials in the community as needed.
- Writing/editing copy for internal and external websites.
Experience in graphics and layout is a big plus.
The intern should be at least a third-year student, preferably majoring in marketing, advertising, mass media, graphic design and/or communication studies. They will work 15-20 hours a week, including the occasional Saturday. The successful candidate must have reliable transportation and must pass Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) and Child Abuse Registry checks.
This internship isn’t about doing the stuff no one else wants to do. For the right person, it’s an opportunity to gain great experience with an outstanding organization and add to your portfolio.
E-mail a letter of application and resume with references to Pam Evans, Director of Marketing and Development, at moc.akepotcgsf|snavep#moc.akepotcgsf|snavep.
The Kansas Association for Justice (KsAJ), a statewide specialty bar association for trial attorneys headquartered in Topeka. KsAJ seeks an organized, industrious individual for an unpaid summer internship. The right individual will benefit from the experience of working in a vibrant, not-for-profit team that uses creative approaches to accomplish organizational goals, and the work could lead to a meaningful professional reference.
The intern will work with our cohesive team of five full-time staff on such projects as:
• Assisting with general procurement of information for the KsAJ website, KsAJ Journal advertising, membership recruitment and additional areas as
• Cataloging legislative testimony to enable ready reference to prior organizational policy positions.
• Coordinating special events and other programming designed to engage and recruit new members to the association.
• Helping to staff leadership meetings in June and supporting/observing multiple committee and board meetings.
• Organizing the library of amicus curiae briefs, working to determine which briefs should be posted on the website, and helping design a
categorization scheme for easy reference.
To apply send a cover letter explaining your interest and relevant experience, your resume listing prior work experience and academic/leadership achievements, plus the names and phone numbers of three references who can speak to your professional leadership and/or academic achievements. Initial review of applications will begin on April 15, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled.
Send application materials to:
Attn: Summer Intern Program
Kansas Association for Justice
719 SW Van Buren, Suite 222
Topeka, KS 66603
ADVERTISING / SALES / MARKETING INTERN
Kansas Press Association (KPA) is looking for a qualified intern to join our advertising/ marketing team. KPA represents 29 daily newspapers, approximately 200 weekly newspapers, 13 specialty newspapers, and 140 websites in Kansas.
Our advertising/ marketing department produces quality work for local and national clients, and seeks an intern who can participate in various stages of print and online sales/ advertising/ marketing campaigns.
This intern should be prepared to work in a fast-paced team environment and will finish the internship having gained broad experience in various aspects of advertising/ marketing and be afforded the opportunity to grow his/her own style of sales.
Duties include sales, research, client mailings, ad creation/ design, assisting in collection and follow up of ads placed, and more.
KPA is looking for an undergraduate or graduate student in the Topeka Metro area who is majoring in Sales, Marketing, Advertising, Communications, or Business. This person should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, PC and Mac experience and knowledge of Adobe Suite. Knowledge of web /social media, knowledge and interest in the newspaper business is a bonus, and will be considered when choosing the best applicant for this internship position. KPA is, however, willing to train the right candidate.
Marketing, Sales, Advertising, Communication, Mass Media
Sara Marstall, Advertising Director
Kansas Press Association
5423 SW 7th Street
Topeka, KS 66606
KANSAS ADJUTANT GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT
PUBLIC AFFAIRS / MEDIA INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Kansas Adjutant General's Public Affairs Office, offers unpaid training opportunities to students actively pursuing a college degree in mass communication and/or journalism fields. The program allows you to explore career options as well as develop your personal and professional skills. As a student volunteer, you will be exposed to the Federal work environment and will learn about the missions and responsibilities of the various Federal and State agencies and departments that work together under the Adjutant General's Department.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN YOU EXPECT?
A Student Internship can enrich your future. Some of the benefits include:
• Career exploration early in your academic studies.
• Exposure to new and emerging occupations and professions.
• Academic credit for the work you perform. (Dependent upon your academic institution.)
• Work experience which will enhance your ability to obtain better jobs in the future.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE?
You are eligible to participate as a Student Volunteer Intern if you:
• are enrolled (at least half-time) at an accredited college, or other educational institution;
• have a 2.8 GPA minimum;
• are actively pursuing a degree in journalism, mass communication, media or related field;
WHAT TYPES OF POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
Student volunteers are involved in professional projects and work activities related to public affairs, journalism and media development. Currently there are three open positions for each fall, spring and summer semesters. The positions are; a print/photo journalists, a broadcast journalist, and a multi-media design specialist. Each position will be working extensively with the Adjutant General's Public Affairs Office and the Joint Force Headquarters Visual Informations Office.
FOR HOW LONG AND WHEN WOULD YOU WORK?
Most interns will work for the duration of the semester in which they apply. Dependent on the amount of credit hours you take through your educational institute, will determine the amount of hours you will work during the week (not to exceed 20 hours per week). Work schedules are flexible and will be built after your in-processing day.
WHAT ARE THE DEADLINES FOR APPLYING?
Applications must be received by the following dates:
- August 1 for Fall Semester
- January 1 for Spring Semester
- May 1 for Summer Semester
HOW DO YOU BECOME A STUDENT VOLUNTEER?
If you are interested in becoming a student volunteer with the Kansas Adjutant General's Office:
• Fill out the application form found here
• For further questions, contact: JANE WELCH (785)274.1190 OR MARK HANSON (785)274.1032
CAPITAL SEMESTER SPRING 2013
DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 1, 20…
*SCHOLARSHIP FUNDING AVAILABLE**
Sponsored by The Fund for American Studies, Capital Semester combines substantive internships, 12 academic credits, career development activities, site briefings and lectures led by policy experts. This fast-paced, fifteen-week residential program provides undergraduate students from around the world with opportunities to gain the edge in today’s competitive job market and graduate school admissions, and experience the excitement of Washington first-hand.
SAMPLE PAST INTERNSHIP SITES
Aerospace Industries Association
American Legislative Exchange Council
Children’s Rights Council
Institute for World Politics
New Leaders for New Schools
U.S. Department of Education
U.S. Department of Justice
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Internships – Competitive placements with government agencies, congressional offices, public policy groups, international affairs organizations and nonprofit organizations
Housing – Roommate matching and furnished Capitol Hill apartments in the heart of D.C.
Classes – Full-time course load in political science and economics
The Wall Street Journal is seeking a budding multimedia journalist to serve as an online intern in Hong Kong for Summer 2013. Over the course of 10 weeks, the intern will work in a high-pressure, real-time newsroom, alongside other editors and reporters, testing your skills at an impressive variety of tasks. You must be passionate about news and stories and work calmly under tight deadlines.
This is not a technical or programming internship. Qualified candidates need knowledge of online publishing and Web page-management, a demonstrated aptitude for using social media and proficiency in working with videos, photos graphics and be able to edit copy. Skilled Final Cut editors, strong video shooters or those with experience using HTML5 or Flash will have an edge in seeking this highly competitive position. Fluency in at least one Asian language is a plus. Day-to-day responsibilities will include editing and publishing of stories and graphics, working with photos, video and slideshows, creating polls and helping our social media efforts. Interns can expect the chance to flex their programming, writing or video storytelling muscles during the internship.
Pay is $700 per week. Employment will be contingent upon securing the right to work in Hong Kong. Room and board will be the intern’s own responsibility.
Please send cover letter, CV and supporting links to show your best, most-diverse writing, video, graphics or other superior online work to moc.jsw|grebjan.a#moc.jsw|grebjan.a.
Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. Communications Intern
The Communications Intern will work on a variety of hands-on, portfolio building projects that support the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Your responsibilities could include such varied and engaging tasks as writing articles and assisting with the publication of a monthly magazine, designing print materials, providing event support for youth programs, digital photography assignments, and more.
This part-time fall internship offers flexible start / end dates and will take into account your class schedule. The position works from the Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. headquarters in Topeka. Hours are flexible, but will be scheduled during business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) during the business week.
Skills & Knowledge to be Gained:
• Hands-on experience in a variety of communication activities
• Opportunity to be published in a statewide magazine
• Build your portfolio by creating great projects and pieces
• Real world practice of meeting deadlines and multi-tasking
• Junior or Senior in college majoring in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field
• Strong written skills, including ability to write feature articles and press releases
• Strong visual design skills, including aptitude with the usual Adobe software including Photoshop and InDesign (PC based)
• Excellent organizational skills
• Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
• Track record of working well on team projects
• Digital photography experience
• Familiarity with Kansas and rural living
• Knowledge of AP Style Guide
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Shana Read at gro.cek|daers#gro.cek|daers, or mail to Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc., PO Box 4267, Topeka, KS 66604.
About Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc.
KEC is the statewide service organization for the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Formed in 1941 and headquartered in Topeka, KEC represents the interests of and provides needed services and programs to the electric co-ops that serve in Kansas. Today, KEC has 30 distribution electric cooperatives and three generation and transmission electric cooperatives providing electricity to over 200,000 Kansas households and to approximately 80% of the land mass.
KMBZ & KCSP Internships
Entercom Kansas City is seeking energetic student interns for the fall/spring/summer semesters, who can work a flexible schedule, approximately 10-15 hours per week. This is an excellent opportunity for students who want to get real world experience promoting two of Kansas City's most active, influential radio stations: KMBZ 98.1-FM and KCSP 610 Sports. Please submit resume and cover letter to www.entercom.com/careers.
Interns' duties include but are not limited to: representing the station at events, remote broadcasts, and non-traditional events, conducting listener research, contacting winners of contests, providing recaps to clients of events, putting together media kits, writing on-air copy and designing promotional and marketing materials. The internship is open to all majors, but is especially beneficial to those majoring in journalism, communications, business, marketing, advertising, and public relations. Students must receive college credit for the internship and be at least a sophomore.
Mass Media Intern need to Organize Topeka & Shawnee County Senior Health Fair & Symposium
Intern's Goal: Contribute throughout project, especially in the branding, marketing, and advertising that is now beginning
Intern's Qualifications: Excited to be part of this exciting event and team; knowledge of branding, advertising, marketing; do not need to be expert in any one field, just feel that you can contribute as member of the team; help develop new community partners with our team
Website for Event: www.tscseniorhealth.org (under construction, blog now showing)
Parent Company for Event: Senior Support Initiatives, Inc., Website, www.seniorsupportinitiatives.org.
For information contact Dr. Menzie: ude.nrubhsaw|eiznem.yhtak#ude.nrubhsaw|eiznem.yhtak or 670-1865.
Shawnee County Health Agency, Position Description
Community Relations Internship
Under general supervision, this internship establishes and maintains community relations and communication between the public and the Shawnee County Health Agency. Performs other duties as required. This position is supervised by the Public Information Officer.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
30% Media Relations and Public Information. Works to get information to the public through press releases, brochure development and distribution, and preparing news releases. Coordinates the development and revisions to content of the Agency’s website.
20% Community Collaboration. Attends various community meetings. Develops and staffs exhibits during various community events.
20% Social Media. Work with Agency departments to develop predetermined messages for social media (Facebook and Twitter) and create marketing plan to increase the Agency’s online audience.
20% Internal Communications. Work with Agency departments to inform internal staff of internal events/information. Work on monthly displays educating on a variety of health topics. Coordinate and update the Risk Communication Plan and Response for the Agency.
10% Event Coordination. Schedules and coordinates workshops and special events.
Public Information Officer
Shawnee County Health Agency
(785) 368-2737- Office
1615 SW 8th - Topeka, KS 66606
**ERC RESOURCE & REFERRAL, d/b/a.
Child Care Aware® of Northeast & North Central Kansas
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS INTERN**
The Marketing and Communications intern will work under the direct supervision of the Marketing and Communications Coordinator, accountable to the Executive Director. This is a temporary position, meeting the requirements of an internship through Washburn University.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS of this position:
1. Work closely with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to implement the Marketing and Communications plan for the agency’s expansion to the sole Parent Referral Center for the state of Kansas.
2. Assist with the design, layout, proofing and printing of new materials to promote programs and services to clients, particularly those related to the Parent Referral Center.
3. Make suggestions related to the agency’s website and social media efforts, and assist with upkeep and new postings.
4. Represent the agency in a positive and professional manner.
5. Work effectively with all members of the administrative team and overall agency.
6. Other duties as assigned by the Marketing & Communications Coordinator and/or Executive Director.
Within each of these duties or functions, the Marketing and Communications Intern is responsible for the following:
1) Work closely with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to implement the Marketing and Communications plan for the agency’s expansion to the sole Parent Referral Center for the state of Kansas.
a) Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Coordinator to fulfill each task in the Marketing and Communications plan.
b) Assist with the development and implementation of strategies that promote effective and consistent branding of the agency.
c) Evaluate the effectiveness of each effort and make recommendations for improvement, assuring that the plan meets the goal of increasing the visibility of the agency throughout the service delivery area.
d) Serve as a member of the Promotion Committee.
2) Assist with the design, layout, proofing and printing of new materials to promote programs and services to clients, particularly those related to the Parent Referral Center.
a) Work closely with Marketing & Communications Coordinator to develop content for brochures, flyers, and other print materials to promote programs and services, including the Parent Referral Center.
b) Provide graphic design and layout services for print materials.
c) Regularly review all print materials to assure proper use of branding.
3) Make suggestions related to the agency’s website and social media efforts.
a) Review and evaluate website content, utilizing standards from Child Care Aware® of Kansas and Quality Assurance.
b) Review and evaluate current utilization of social media and make suggestions to expand current efforts to promote the agency’s programs and services.
c) Research options for mass texting as a mechanism for providing outreach to families, reporting on available options and cost, and making a recommendation for implementation.
4) Represent the agency in a positive and professional manner
a) Attend community meetings on behalf of the agency, as assigned.
b) Work collaboratively to strengthen CCR&R ties with other agencies.
c) Assist with dissemination of information to community stakeholders on relevant issues.
5) Work effectively with all members of the Administrative Team and the overall agency, maintaining a commitment to high-quality customer service.
a) Attend all staff and project meetings as required by supervisor.
b) Work cooperatively with others, sharing your skills, strengths, and expertise to the benefit of the agency and team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS REQUIRED TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
1. Strong organizational and leadership skills.
2. Ability to manage multiple projects, analyze effectiveness, and determine need to develop additional strategies to insure success.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
4. Extensive computer skills, including graphic design and layout.
5. Editing and proofreading skills.
6. Good attention to detail.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
1. Currently enrolled student at Washburn University majoring in communications, mass media or graphic design.
2. Approval of internship by Washburn University faculty.
WEIGHT LIFTING (OR OTHER PHYSICAL) REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
1. Ability to sit, stand, bend and lift approximately 20 pounds.
2. Ability to visually see the computer screen and read printed material relevant to the duties of the position.
LICENSING OR OTHER SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
1. Must have a valid driver’s license, and a driving record that meets insurability standards of the agency’s liability insurance carrier.
2. Must pass a KBI/SRS Child Abuse Registry check annually.
ERC Resource & Referral, d/b/a Child Care Aware® of Northeast & North Central Kansas, provides services to families statewide, and services to child care programs in a 28 county area. The Marketing & Communications Intern will work from the Topeka office.
ERC RESOURCE & REFERRAL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS POSITION DESCIPTION IN ANY WAY THE COMPANY DESIRES. THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION. THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE COMPANY REMAINS AN “AT WILL” EMPLOYER. QUALIFIED EMPLOYEES WHO REQUIRE REASONABLE ACCOMODATIONS TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION SHOULD NOTIFY THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR.
Mass Media Intern
General Job Description: Provides input and activities related to communication of Arthritis Foundation’s mission, goals, and special events to our constitutes and the community at large including creation of collateral materials, newsletters and web site content, organization of special events, implementation of public relations and fundraising campaigns. Intern will interact with senior staff, volunteers, general public, vendors, news media and donors.
• Facilitate branding and communications strategy, including print, Internet and social media for the Arthritis Walks, special events, Commitment Breakfast and JBRun.
• Provide strategic counsel on messaging and communications strategies for AF events.
• Submit articles for regional newsletter
• Act as a Brand steward to ensure consistent look and feel of all messaging,
• Assist with planning, production and logistics of special events that raise money for or introduce potential donors to the Arthritis Foundation.
• Work with volunteers and staff for materials distribution; securing in-kind donations, tracking goods and services.
• Help to plan committee meetings and coordinate volunteers; help recruit new volunteers.
• Assist in writing, editing and production of regional newsletter articles, e-communications, social media, information brochures, and flyers.
• Develop and distribute press releases for media and targeted communities.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the department director.
Knowledge, Skills and Requirements
1. Candidate should be a full-time student working toward a bachelor degree in marketing, communications, business administration, graphic design, social entrepreneurship, or related field.
2. Must have reliable personal transportation to and from workplace.
3. Exceptional interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff, media, volunteers and donors.
4. Superior writing, communication, and organizational skills.
5. Have excellent telephone communication/customer service skills
6. Have initiative and ability to work independently
7. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access). Experience with InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, QuarkXpress, FrontPage, and/or Dream Weaver a real plus.
Special Events Coordinator
4125 SW Gage Center Drive Ste 204
Topeka, KS 66604
KANSAS CHILDREN’S DISCOVERY CENTER
MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS INTERN – (Intern)
OBJECTIVE: To help advance the Discovery Center in its mission and through marketing, advertising and public relations.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Marketing and Public Relations Intern is responsible for assisting the Marketing and Public Relations Manager in providing a consistent and professional image of the Discovery Center through internal and external communications. This position requires outstanding writing skills, attention to detail, excellent customer service skills and an intuitive sense for customer-focused marketing. The Marketing and Public Relations Intern should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a diverse group of customers, staff, volunteers and donors. This is a part-time summer internship. Applicants should be able to work an average of 15-20 hours a week for 10 – 12 weeks.
• Assist in writing media alerts, releases and handouts for community programs, events and activities
• Assist in supporting the education/programming and volunteer/visitor services departments as needed
• Assist in community event promotion
• Help maintain and expand online and electronic marketing initiatives (blog, social media and e-marketing campaigns)
• Assist in research and evaluation of current and potential marketing strategies;
• Assist with other marketing projects as needed
- Junior or Senior enrolled in marketing or related field from an accredited college or university;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Experienced and avid social media/internet community user;
- Knowledgeable in current design technology and software applications (Microsoft, Adobe);
- Embraces a collaborative, team-based approach;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, creative writing and oral communication skills;
- A self-starter, who can work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- This position requires an individual who is dependable and has the ability, to multi-task; and
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to the mission of KCDC.
- Previous media writing experience
- Ability to work some weekends for special events and programs
PAID INTERNSHIP WITH A GROWING LOCAL ROOFING BUSINESS
Faith Roofing, Topeka, KS is offering a paid internship to a student that wants to utilize their customer service and marketing skills in a fast-paced, growing, and changing environment. Customer service is a priority! The successful student will assist the marketing director to perform general office duties, answer telephone, conduct Internet searches, assist in designing marketing materials, assemble marketing packets, post to social media sites with customer reviews, events, product information, etc., and attend marketing events. Desired skills: Strong customer service skills, extremely motivated, positive, assertive, creative, responsible, ability to display a high level of maturity to conduct business in absence of marketing director, and willingness to be held accountable. Flexible work hours and willing to work around class schedules.
If interested, please email your resume and a letter of interest to the attention of: Tracy Seitz, HR at moc.liamg|gnirihhtiaf#moc.liamg|gnirihhtiaf
HEARTLAND VISIONING | COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
Heartland Visioning is seeking a communications intern with a passion for Topeka & Shawnee County with strong writing skills and a desire to explore the world of non-profit communications. The intern will work directly with the communications coordinator to develop and implement ideas to build and strengthen Heartland Visioning’s current communication efforts. The intern will also be responsible for updating our website and increasing our online presence that includes: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and others. Other responsibilities include: writing copy for the e-newsletter, designing ads, print projects, event planning and assistance and other needs the may arise to promote the efforts of Heartland Visioning.
Heartland Visioning began in 2008 with the purpose to guide citizens of Topeka & Shawnee County in a process to create a vision for our community’s future. Citizens throughout Shawnee County provided ideas and the vision from which Heartland Visioning uses to guide its daily activities and goals. Heartland Visioning facilitates, promotes and celebrates projects that have blossomed out of the strategic plan, community partnerships and other successes that have bettered Topeka and Shawnee County. We also provide assistance to creating collaborations for ideas to better our community.
This is an unpaid internship with working hours between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Interns are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours per week during Spring and Fall semesters and 20 hours per week during the summer.
• Current student majoring in communications, marketing, public relations or other related field;
• Detail oriented, creative, self-starter who is interested in learning in a dynamic and challenging environment;
• Effective communicator with strong AP Style writing skills for both print and web;
• Ability to meet strict deadlines while working on multiple projects;
• Ability to learn new programs quickly;
• Experience with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+;
• Excellent research skills.
Intern will gain:
• Experience with PR and marketing strategies for a non-profit organization
• Experience in an office environment
• Networking experiences with a diverse group of community leaders
• A variety of pieces for his/her portfolio
• Real-world application of his/her public relations, marketing and communication skills
Application Deadline: May 31 for Summer; August 20 for Fall; December 17 for Spring
To apply, please send a short letter of interest and a resume to:
120 SE 6th Ave. #110
Topeka, KS 66603
Riverside Marketing is looking for interns
Duties that we have available would include ad layouts (brochures, newsletters, misc. print and web material), graphic design, branding, social media integration, organizing databases, customer service/client account management, bidding/procurement, networking functions/community events, trade show and expo events, designing material for our company newsletters/online company stores, etc.
There are many different opportunities within our company that will help enhance the interns’ job skills and qualifications.
We are very flexible on schedule and will work to accommodate each intern’s specific needs to help prepare them for their next career position. Being able to work efficiently and independently is a plus. We welcome creative and outgoing individuals who will help develop new ideas for clients.
Please email resumes to:
Senior Marketing Director
Riverside Marketing and Promotions LLC
Posted January 2012
Marketing Communications Intern
Parrish Hotels is a property management company with six properties in the state of Kansas. The Marketing Communications Intern will assist with all marketing efforts for the various properties, including advertising, social media, public relations, promotions and branding efforts.
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
• Communications, Public Relations, Advertising, Marketing, Graphic Design or related discipline
• Junior or Senior level student enrolled in a four-year degree program
• Experience using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. Experience with Dreamweaver and Flash are a plus
• Ability to think creatively
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting strict deadlines
• Can work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Posses strong interpersonal skills and excellent communications skills
• Design various promotional pieces, including flyers, advertisements, brochures,
e-newsletters, logos and other print and interactive media as needed
• Assist with corporate events and trade show planning
• Write copy for radio, print and web materials
• Update and maintain social media sites for the various hotel properties
• Assist with the development, implementation and promotion of packages and other special offers
• Research marketing trends of competitors, products and effective marketing tactics.
Please email resume, cover letter, writing and design samples to moc.sletohhsirrap|eirelaV#moc.sletohhsirrap|eirelaV.
KS Board of Regents
Data, Research, and Planning - Intern Opportunities - Spring Semester
The Board of Regents invites applications for four temporary halftime intern positions with the Data, Research and Planning unit. The successful candidates will help develop and deploy training and support initiatives related to the Kansas Higher Education Data System (KHEDS). The Data, research and Planning (DRP) unit at the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) is responsible for the planning, development, and maintenance of a reporting system for postsecondary data in the State. This system is used to provide decision-making support to the policy development and system coordination of the Board, Kansas institutions, and constituents.
The primary responsibilities and minimum qualifications for each position are listed below.
1) Training Intern: responsible for design and development of 1 or 2 specific online training track(s) that provides technical training for institutional users. The tracks(s) will focus on how the Board of Regents will use the data in the KHEDS system and how institutional users, as well as KBOR staff, can get information out of the KHEDS system. The intern will be required to work with subject matter experts as needed, to develop the tracks(s); therefore, the successful candidate will need to exhibit good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Desired field of study: Instructional Design or Multimedia Development for Instruction or any other appropriate field of study from an accredited college or university.
2) Marketing Intern: responsible for developing marketing plan for KBOR online Training Tracks to institutional users as well as participants during the June 2012 KBOR conference that will take place in Topeka, KS. The intern will gather feedback and training requirements during Spring 2012 KHEDS video conference meeting with various institutional users. The intern must enjoy working with public sector; therefore, the successful candidate will need to exhibit good interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Desired field of study: Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or any other appropriate field of study from an accredited college or university. Beneficial, but not necessary: some web design/graphic design background.
3) Web Developer Intern: responsible for creating a web-based input form(s) that routes help desk questions to the appropriate KBOR staff member and also logs to the internal tracking system. The intern will also develop Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page with seamless integration to KBOR web site. Desired field of study: computer science, information technology, business technology or any other appropriate field of study from an accredited college or university. Java /.NET development experience/training preferred but not required.
4) Research Intern: responsible for assisting DRP unit with identification of appropriate data sources, data definitions, and extracts for P20 Research Scholars program. The intern will assist KBOR Associate Director of Communications with P20 Research Scholars program administrative duties. Desired field of study: evaluation, education or any other appropriate field of study.
Interns can work up to 20 hrs per week at a rate of $15 per hour. Internships are open to undergraduate and graduate students. Preference given to upperclassmen. The work is expected to be completed by the end of the spring semester. Work to be performed onsite in Topeka, KS.
A letter of application, resume, and departmental or instructor recommendation(s) should be sent to Cindy Farrier, Operations and Project Manager at gro.robsk|reirrafc#gro.robsk|reirrafc. Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will have consented to, and successfully completed a criminal background check. EOE
Social Media Intern
UMAPS provides graphic design, printing and mailing to the University community. The department is now in the initial stages of exploring the use of social media. A student from Mass Media would be in the developmental stages of this undertaking and could be instrumental in the success of the project. I believe it would be a win/win situation for both the department and the student in working together for the success of this project. UMAPS would have a viable social media presence and the student would have hands on experience to included in a resume. As an incentive, UMAPS will provide what goods and services the student needs to produce a project portfolio.
If you are interested in applying, contact Alan Doolittle, manager of University Mail & Printing Services, at ude.nrubhsaw|elttilood.nala#ude.nrubhsaw|elttilood.nala, or 670-1605.
Marketing intern for Wood Valley
Wood Valley has six indoor courts and programs for all ages. Our youngest player is four and our oldest player is 85. We are a family based tennis center and we also manage the 18 outdoor courts for the City of Topeka at Kossover Tennis Center.
I would like a marketing intern to help us with the following areas:
*Redesign our current website which is extremely dated and not interactive
*Keep the new website updated with events and new classes
*Re-do and maintain our Facebook
*Create a twitter account for Wood Valley
*Promotion ideas for our classes for all levels
*Promotion ideas for Rally for the Cure, our breast health awareness event for Susan G. Komen which is held each February
*Redesign our fliers for Wood Valley classes
*Other marketing ideas as created by the intern
We could use an intern each semester. We are flexible on hours and there is space for them to work at Wood Valley.
If you are interested, please call Wood Valley at 785-506-8928 and leave a message for Daryl Greenstreet, Director of Tennis.
Our address is 2909 SW 37th Street, Topeka, Kansas 66614. And our website is www.stayfit.com
Title: Editorial Assistant
Part-time: Internship (unpaid)
Department: Communications and Marketing
Reports To: Communications and Marketing Manager
Purpose of Position: This internship position is responsible for supporting the Communications and Marketing processes of the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library. The intern gains experience of all aspects of print and digital publishing by assisting staff in the planning, writing and production of brochures, advertising, articles and a broad range of publicity materials. Much of the work is routine, though essential to the production of publications.
To apply, talk to the internship coordinator or e-mail Diana Friend, Communications & Marketing manager, at gro.lpcst|dneirfd#gro.lpcst|dneirfd
Internship positions are available for Spring, Summer and Fall.
Sunflower State Games
An internship with the Sunflower State Games offers excellent insight into the world of event planning, sports marketing and media relations.Interns have the opportunity to earn college credit as well as gain the experience necessary to compete for positions in these industries. There are multiple internship openings available for the spring and summer terms. Thank you for your interest in attaining an internship with the Sunflower State Games. Come join a young and energetic full-time staff and help conduct the largest amateur athletic event in the state of Kansas!
How to Apply:Submit a resume and cover letter outlining why you want to work with the SSG and what qualities, skills and attributes you possess. Please indicate which internship you are interested in. Please note: the Spring/Summer internship may be combined to accommodate students needing to fulfill standard requirements set by their school.
Deadline:Spring Internships: December 1, 2014
Summer Internships: May 1, 2014
Send or e-mail to:
Sunflower State Games
820 S. Kansas Ave.
Topeka, KS 66612
Start/End dates are somewhat flexible. Hours expected are 10-15 hours per week in the spring and 15-20 hours per week in the summer depending on the position. SSG is willing to work around school and work schedules. All interns will work from SSG Headquarters in Topeka. Performance base stipend is included in all internships. Summer interns are required to work all competition dates including: July 13-15, 20-22 & 27-29.
The Kansas Department of Agriculture
The Kansas Department of Agriculture has opportunities available for the spring and summer. Tasks would be tailored to the intern's interests but could vary from writing press releases and editorial to event planning, media relations, video work, social media and special projects.
To apply for the internship program, students need to fill out a formal Governor's internship program application and some other information. Those instructions are available here:
Some people have had a hard time filling out the form and saving it. It’s acceptable to fill out a hard copy and mail it in. There is a place on the application to mark the Department of Agriculture as the student’s agency of interest. In addition to submitting the application as indicated on the website, I'd also encourage students to send a hard copy directly to Jackie McClaskey at the Department of Agriculture (109 S.W. 9th Street Topeka, KS 66612-1280).
Please let me know if you have questions or would like to talk in more detail about what the internship might entail.
Kansas Department of Agriculture
Internship Opportunity at Cedar Crest
My name is Rebecca Witte and I work at Cedar Crest, the Governor’s Residence, here in Topeka. We are interested in bringing an intern in to work with us here at the house beginning now through the semester. This intern would have the opportunity to help with a variety of tasks:
- Event Planning
- Scheduling (both tours of the home and working with groups who request the First Lady to appear/speak at an event)
- Other miscellaneous PR activities (social networking, possibly some press releases, etc.)
Anyone who might be interested in this opportunity should send me their resume, references and availability. We’re on a tight time frame now, but would accept resumes through the 21st and would be setting up interviews with potential candidates.
Chief of Staff for the First Lady and Residence Manager
Topeka, Kansas 66606
I’m writing to inform you all about our new Public Affairs / Media Internship program here at the State Defense complex in Topeka, Kansas.
We are currently accepting applications for 5 unpaid positions working with our Public Affairs and Visual Information Office. The positions will be working in various fields ranging from print/photo journalism, broadcast journalism, multimedia design and community relations.
Applicants will get to work in office/field environments covering stories and events for the Kansas National Guard, Kansas Division of Emergency Management, Kansas Department of Homeland Security and the Kansas Civil Air Patrol. Aside from hands-on technical experience, candidates will gain working knowledge of how these state and federal agencies cooperate to sustain domestic operations across Kansas.
We would much appreciate widest dissemination as possible to interested students.
Please don’t hesitate to email or call with questions or for more information.
Thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with any applicants you may have in your department.
Visual Information Manager
KSNG | JFHQ | DOIM
Topeka, KS 66611
Check us out on facebook:
Community Relations Intern
(Multiple internships available – 10 to 20 hours per week)
Helping Hands Humane Society, Inc. provides sanctuary for animals in need of compassionate care and protection. The Media Intern is responsible to the Web Manager, Volunteer/Special Events Coordinator. Intern(s) will assist with recruitment and training of volunteers and assist with community activities. This is an unpaid internship but will offer students an opportunity to expand their knowledge by obtaining valuable work experiences.
Interns Learning objectives and goals
• Produce professional media materials that will assist in re-homing homeless pets.
• Create professional quality video/slide shows.
• Assist in planning and presentation at special events.
• Assist with recruitment, scheduling, and training of HHHS volunteers.
• Internet research and social networking capabilities.
• Gather and produce materials for Web site, social networking, and other promotional materials.
• Take and edit professional images for Web publication.
• Assist in office duties, and possible labor, animal interaction is required.
• Must be physically able to lift up to 50 lbs.
MS Publisher, MS Movie Maker, MS Excel, MS Word Adobe, Photoshop
Job Description, activities, assignments, goals and objectives
• Assist the Volunteer Coordinator and Business Manager with any upcoming tasks and assignments.
• The student should gain a working understanding of non-profit companies and the animal welfare field.
Tuesday-Saturday, time is flexible.
Submit a resume along with 3 examples of related work to:
Jayme Walshire, Web Manager, Special Events/Volunteer Coordinator
Helping Hands Humane Society
2625 NW Rochester Rd.
Topeka, Ks 66617
Or to : gro.akepotshhh|WemyaJ#gro.akepotshhh|WemyaJ
Internship in Topeka for London's Live Jazz Cafe, here in Topeka.
I would like to find someone who is personable, timely, savvy in public relations, marketing and promotions. I'm seeking a go-getter who is creative and not afraid to think outside the box and complete projects within agreed upon deadlines.
London's is the only jazz cafe in this region and the only jazz cafe in the midwest that does not sell alcohol, with good reason besides being on the cutting edge of something that hasn't been done before.
This internship does not pay a salary but does come with pretty awesome perks and a stipend once agreed upon projects are completed at the end of this semester.
Thank you so much!
Lisa D. Kirk, HLIC
London's LIVEJAZZ! Cafe
PR & Marketing ~ Entertainment
Jostens internship or part-time job
We are looking for a student to work with an individual who customizes software (specifically InDesign) for our yearbook customers. This would be an excellent opportunity to use layout and design software in a business application. Obviously it would be good for their resume as well. If you know of any students looking for an internship or part-time employment we can be flexible on hours. If you have anyone interested please have them contact me directly.
Matt Beier / Human Resources Manager
Jostens Inc. / Topeka, KS / (785)339-5141
Balfour Yearbook Internship Information
Who is Balfour?
Balfour is one of the nation's largest scholastic products and publishing provider. The printing facility located in Dallas, Texas encompasses more than one half million square feet of operating and warehousing space.
There are local Balfour Yearbook Representative(s) that help over one hundred yearbook staffs with their publications each year in over 220 counties in Kansas and Missouri. These professionals see to it that each school receives personalized service and attention. They help each of their customers with the planning, layout, photography and marketing of their yearbooks. They also bring ideas, advice and a personal commitment to customers by providing ways to save time, cut costs and realize a vision for the yearbook.
The local Balfour Yearbook Representative(s) also builds relationships in the area with non-customers in an effort to increase revenue and customer base. This is done through a visibility campaign that involves emails, phone calls and visit to schools. The goal is to coordinate meetings with non-customers to discuss their needs and create an assessment based on those needs. This assessment portrays how working with Balfour and the local Yearbook Representative(s) will provide an affordable, quality yearbook through personalized attention and service that exceeds expectations.
What internship position is available at Balfour?
Balfour is offering an internship opportunity to assist the area Yearbook Representative(s) with the following:
• Help create and drive successful visibility/marketing campaigns which results in making Balfour and the area Yearbook Representative(s) recognized names in the territory
• Design postcards, emails, brochures, flyers and other various collateral to distribute to non-customers
• Call/email assigned non-customers in the designated territory on a consistent basis in order to deepen the market penetration for Balfour
• Maintain in-depth information on non-customer schools by continually updating information, adding to mailing lists, etc.
• Respond or forward to area Yearbook Representative(s) non-customer inquiries within 24 hours
• Manage daily facebook and other social media updates as well as expanding our visibility and social media interest by brainstorming content such as contests or promotions.
• Complete other various tasks when requested by area Yearbook Representative(s)
What skills or qualities are pertinent to this internship at Balfour?
• Strong writing, proofreading, and communication skills
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft and Adobe programs
• Familiarity with social media networks including Facebook and Twitter
• Documented achievement in college level courses and active pursuit of a degree related to, but not limited to the following fields: Journalism, Communications, Business, Marketing.
• Good management of multiple assignments and timely completion of them
• Quick worker but with attention to detail
• Accurate, organized and up-to-date record-keeping of correspondences and schedule
• Positive outlook and creative problem solving when handling objections
• A proactive, not reactive approach when working
• Honest and professional with supervisors and contacts
• Independent worker with limited supervision
• Disciplined work ethic to achieve tasks and goals
• Comfortable communicating with diverse people mostly via telephone and email contact, but also in person
• Outgoing, confident and down-to-earth personality
• Efficient with and has access to a computer, the internet and a phone
What is expected of you as an intern at Balfour?
The length of the internship is 1 position per semester unless you are able to do an internship for multiple semesters or would like to continue on a volunteer basis. The position requires between 10-15 hours of work per week. Scheduling is flexible and created by you, but the most efficient work can be done in the morning and afternoon. Most of your responsibilities can be fulfilled working from home (there is not a location that you will be required to report to). There may be times when it will be necessary to meet with the area Yearbook Representative(s), your supervisor(s). When this happens, the meeting will be determined based on everyone’s schedule. You are responsible for communicating with the area Yearbook Representative(s) on a regular basis via email, face to face and telephone conversations. There will be a weekly conference call on Mondays and you will be expected to report to your supervisor via email every Friday. This position requires the intern to own a laptop, to have internet access, and to own a cell or home phone.
When are internships available?
2011 Spring Internship: March 1-May 31. (Deadline for application February 20)
2011 Summer Internship: June 1-August 31
2011 Fall/Winter Internship: September 1- December 15
What are the benefits of interning at Balfour?
• Earn internship credit (sorry this is an unpaid internship)
• Get real world experience in writing, graphic design, layout design or marketing and business while interacting with people and having fun
• Learn professional and leadership skills that involve creative thinking, attention to detail and time management
• Involve yourself in an activity outside of the classroom
• Do all of the above without having to leave campus or your home (a few meetings off campus may be necessary but will not be often)
• Active experience implementing convergent media in business and education settings
How do I apply for an internship at Balfour?
If you are interested in applying for the position, please email your resume highlighting your experience and accomplishments in communicating with people as well as two writing or design examples to moc.liamg|koobraey.yentihw#moc.liamg|koobraey.yentihw.
Please visit us at: http://www.balfour.com
The Missouri Valley Balfour website: http://www.yearbooksolutions.com/movalley/contact.html
Or find us on Facebook by searching Balfour-Taylor Yearbooks of Missouri Valley
Manhattan Broadcasting, licensee of KMAN, KROCK, B104.7 and Z96.3 is offering student internships in the following areas: News, Sports, Promotions, Sales/Marketing, and Production.
Internships are offered on a limited basis for each semester. Students interested in pursuing an internship should notify the internship coordinator at Manhattan Broadcasting to set up a meeting. Students should also contact their advisor to discuss specifics in fulfilling requirements needed for an internship. The number of hours needed to fulfill an internship varies on the number of credit hours taken.
Manhattan Broadcasting Company, Inc.
2414 Casement Road
Manhattan, KS 66502
(785) 776-1350 phone
(785) 539-1000 fax
PAID INTERNSHIP OPENING
Capitol Connection, LLC – Topeka, KS
Organization: Capitol Connection LLC, located in downtown Topeka, Kansas.
Firm Description: Capitol Connection is a consulting, public relations, lobbying and investigative firm. Capitol Connection works to ensure its clients voice and messages are heard at the Statehouse and across the state of Kansas.
Requirements/Skills: This intern will be actively enrolled in a university public relations, marketing, advertising, media or other related program. Current students will have at least a sophomore standing. The individual must demonstrate the ability to undertake basic public relations writing assignments and possess an understanding of basic media relations skills and an ability to interact professionally with clients and the public. A working knowledge of computers is necessary. The time commitment is 15 – 20 hours per week.
Responsibilities: We are looking for a paid intern to work with us on a grassroots public relations campaign helping a statewide trade association. The intern:
Drafts basic public relations materials, including news releases, media alerts, fact sheets, status reports and other materials as directed.
Helps organize and plan special media events.
Attends and participates in client meetings, presentations, brainstorming sessions, legislative events and others as directed.
Contacts businesses to gather and provide information and conduct market research.
Contacts statewide media outlets.
Conducts general information research.
Monitors and helps track legislation during the 2011 Legislative session.
Assists with the development and updating of media lists and other databases. The intern will provide data output in the form of letters, email lists, data lists and other reports.
Assists with administrative duties including sorting, collating, stuffing envelopes, mailings and other administrative functions.
Provides and implements original ideas to help assist in the grassroots effort.
To Apply: Please e-mail or mail a cover letter and resume to:
Spencer Duncan, Capitol Connection, LLC
212 SW 8th Avenue, Suite 202
Topeka, KS 66603
E-mail submissions preferred. Call with questions or if interested. Apply by January 14, 2011.
THIS POSITION IS FOR A PAID INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT OR, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED AN INTERNSHIP, A JOB OPPORTUNITY.
Capitol Connection is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment practices with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, political affiliation, national origin or disability.
This internship opportunity is ongoing.
Topeka Performing Arts Center – Nonprofit Marketing Internship:
Do you want to experience the world of marketing at a facility managed by the third largest management company in the nation? Do you want a fun, fast-paced experience that you can earn credit for and looks great on your resume? If you answered yes to these questions, you may be the intern we are looking for.
Topeka Performing Arts Center (TPAC) is looking for a marketing intern who is eager to gain experience in the marketing world in a fun way. TPAC is a nonprofit performing arts center in Topeka, KS. TPAC has a variety of programs, from main stage shows to educational programming and events.
-Assisting in the mass media efforts
-Maintenance of social and community networking sites to promote and publicize events
-Creative development and production for the Playbill
-Drafting e-mail copy
-Creating and distributing promotional materials for events
-Assisting with general preparation for shows
-Assisting with development of Grass Roots Fundraisers and Promotions
Interns are exposed to all aspects of marketing, sales and public relations for the Topeka Performing Arts Center.
Strong computer skills
Strong writing and communication skills
Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
Self-motivated and reliable
Availability to work 7-10 hours per week within a set schedule, Monday–Friday, plus the flexibility to work most performances.
Prior office experience
Keen eye for detail
Photography, graphic and/or Web design experience a plus
This is an unpaid internship that may be taken for college credit.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and a three writing sample (such as a news release or newsletter story).
214 SE 8th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66603
The Communications Intern will work on a variety of hands-on, portfolio building projects that support the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Your responsibilities could include such varied and engaging tasks as writing articles and assisting with the redesign and the publication of a monthly magazine, designing print materials, providing event support for youth programs, digital photography assignments, and more.
We offer a competitive hourly wage based on experience. The position works from the Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. headquarters in Topeka. Hours are flexible, but will be scheduled during business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
Skills & Knowledge to be gained
Hands-on experience in a variety of communication activities
Opportunity to be published in a statewide magazine
Build your portfolio by creating great projects and pieces
Real world practice of meeting deadlines and multi-tasking
Junior or Senior in college majoring in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field
Strong written skills, including ability to write feature articles and press releases
Strong visual design skills, including aptitude with the usual Adobe software including Photoshop and InDesign (PC based)
Excellent organizational skills
Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
Track record of working well on team projects
Digital photography experience
Familiarity with Kansas and rural living
Knowledge of AP Style Guide
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references by Jan. 20, 2011, to Shana Holsteen at gro.cek|neetslohs#gro.cek|neetslohs, or mail to Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc., PO Box 4267, Topeka, KS 66604.
Interviews will be held in Topeka in September. Start and end dates will be based on the successful applicant’s schedule (September - December).
About Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc.:
KEC is the statewide service organization for the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Formed in 1941 and headquartered in Topeka, KEC represents the interests of and provides needed services and programs to the electric co-ops that serve in Kansas. Today, KEC has 30 distribution electric cooperatives and three generation and transmission electric cooperatives providing electricity to over 200,000 Kansas households and to approximately 80% of the land mass.
JOB TITLE: YearTech Marketing Intern
NAME OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Betty Bacon, Senior Manager, eBusiness
NAME OF CONTACT PERSON: Matt Beier extension 5141
ABOUT JOSTENS: Jostens is comprised of dynamic teams of individuals who support the mission of schools, groups and teams by passionately helping people express themselves, celebrate experiences and traditions, recognize achievements and share their stories.
Founded in 1897, we offer a broad range of market leading products including school yearbooks, OurHubbub® MemoryBooks, scholastic products such as class rings and graduation products, and products for athletic champions and affiliation groups.
We value innovation, integrity, diversity and exceptional performance and want to make that apparent in every experience we deliver.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF JOB: Assist product manager in executing the market strategy for technical products. Help develop and oversee implementation plans for yearbook technology products and educational materials for customers.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Participate in project planning and develop customer materials to support customers’ yearbook planning and production.
• Help develop and update new and existing marketing materials
• Investigate, recommend & help develop alternative methods for delivering information to sales team and customers than traditional printed materials (e.g., web, multimedia).
• Evaluate usage of current product & promotional items
• Test and evaluate current software and make recommendations
• Assist in the implementation of new applications, upgrades and user testing/feedback
• Must possess excellent customer service skills and the ability to deal with difficult situations.
• Good organizational and multi-tasking skills
• Excellent copywriting and proofing skills
• Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office.
• Experience with Windows and Macintosh OS.
• Yearbook or equivalent publication experience preferred.
• Attention to detail is critical
All interested employees should complete an internal application that can be found in the wall file holder next to the bulletin board or in the HR Office. Please direct all inquiries regarding this position to Matt Beier, Human Resources, in the HR Office, extension 5141.
Advertising/Publishing internship available. Responsibilities would include editing, writing, database administration. For more information, contact Jeff Peterson at Peterson Publications via email at moc.snoitacilbupnosretep|ffej#moc.snoitacilbupnosretep|ffej.
Paid Internship in Kansas City at Osborn & Barr
Consider on of these paid internships and several are offered - including media, creative, digital marketing, PR department internships.
Here the link:
Osborn & Barr
Internship • marketing • public relations • advertising
Family Service & Guidance Center of Topeka, a large nonprofit organization, is looking for a highly-motivated student who wants a diverse internship experience in marketing, advertising and public relations.
The intern will assist in….
• implementing the agency’s public relations/marketing/ development strategy
• special event planning
• representing the agency at special events
• distributing marketing and promotional materials
• internal and external communications
E-mail a letter of interest and resume to:
Amy Burns, JD
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
325 SW Frazier Ave.
Topeka, Kansas 66606www.fsgctopeka.com
The successful candidate will work approximately 15 hours a week and must have reliable transportation. We will be flexible with the right candidate’s schedule.
Marketing Intern for Visit Topeka Inc.
As the city’s convention and visitor’s bureau, Visit Topeka promotes Topeka as a destination for conventions, conferences, sporting events and vacations. Visit Topeka works closely with local hotels, convention centers, sports venues and area attractions to provide the best experience for meeting planners, tour operators and leisure travelers. This close communication is vital to event success and makes sure that people return to Topeka again and again.
The marketing intern will work with the sales staff to provide assistance and support in many areas. The intern will be responsible for researching events, confirming and correcting event information, contacting event planners, filling materials requests, delivering materials and completing post-event details. Establishing a good relationship with the hotels and venues is important to this position. These tasks will be completed by making phone calls, sending emails and using the internet. Additional administrative duties will be performed as needed. Event planning and additional marketing duties will be based on experience. This is an unpaid internship. Work will be completed between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
Student majoring in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, business or related field
Excellent research skills
Friendly, effective communicator, self-motivated worker
Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects
Attention to details
Application deadline: September 15, for fall; December 20, for spring; May 23 for summer
To apply, please send a short letter of interest and resume to:
Communications & Marketing Manager
Visit Topeka Inc.
I have an opening for one or two interns this fall. United Way is paying a monthly stipend of $500 to its interns.
Please let your students know. I’m flexible with the scheduling, but it needs to be m-f between 8 and 6pm.
I am looking to hire in September. Please have any interested parties forward me their resumes.
Director of Communications
United Way of Greater Topeka
1315 SW Arrowhead Road
Topeka, KS 66604
Follow us on Twitter @unitedwaytopeka
Job title: Topeka Division Special Events Intern
10 - 15 Hours a week
Assist the March of Dimes team in planning and executing March of Dimes fall events like Signature Chef’s. Late fall and spring semester will be spent planning March for Babies, the March of Dimes’ largest fundraising event which takes place in April.
Microsoft Office proficiency, organizational skills, professional appearance and proper telephone etiquette required. Positive attitude and strong desire to learn about the Non-profit sector. Transportation to and from March of Dimes office in Topeka, KS.
1. Assist March of Dimes staff in various capacities such as data entry, follow up phone calls, volunteer support, and the assembly of campaign mailings.
2. Assist the March of Dimes Division Director as needed
3. Attend staff meetings, committee meetings, and events as needed
4. Assist March of Dimes staff in supporting volunteer planning committees with development of overall event: planning, public relations, implementation, set-up, and tear down.
5. Assist the March of Dimes staff in managing and developing corporate partnerships
6. Assist with other duties as assigned.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jenny Oxandale at: moc.semidfohcram|eladnaxoj#moc.semidfohcram|eladnaxoj or call 785-228-2718.
KTWU Development Department Internship
(Note: This would be an idea internship for a Mass Media student who has skills in a variety of areas. The internship will provide opportunities in the area of production, public relations, journalism, promotion and marketing. To have the full benefit of the intership, some – but not major – flexibility will be required allowing involvement in our live broadcasts.)
Over the course of a semester, the person in this internship would have the opportunity to do some of the following:
• Serve as Assistant to the Producer of KTWU’s On-Air Membership telethons and the station’s televised auction, assisting in areas of preproduction (ex: script writing, video shoots, production planning and preparation, etc.)
• Assist with “Gorilla Promotion” for Auction and Pledge Drive programing
• Participate in Special Events and Community Promotion to include assistance with special event planning and participation in those events
Would require: Some basic skills in writing and basics of television production, organizational skills and ability to work autonomously but also to collaborate with other staff members.
Reports to: Cindy Barry, Director of Development/Education Services 670-1111 or ude.nrubhsaw|yrrab.ydnic#ude.nrubhsaw|yrrab.ydnic